Selenium is an open-source tool which is used to Automate Web applications which are Application under Test(AUT) in order to perform Regression Testing of applications. Selenium is a suite of tools which automates web browsers on different platforms, supports many languages, runs on different operating systems. Selenium suite is a combination of four tools.
Selenium is suite tools which are
- Selenium IDE
- Selenium RC(Remote Control)
- Selenium WebDriver
- Selenium Grid
NOTE: Selenium doesn’t support automate to windows applications and selenium not support for 2 – tier environment, it only supports 3 – tier environment applications
Selenium IDE full form is Integrated Development Environment, IDE is a firefox plugin which is a free plugin for firefox browser. Selenium IDE is useful in record and playback of web applications.IDE providing options to convert the recorded script into different languages and ide can convert the script to below languages.
- C#/NUnit/Remote Control
- Java/Junit 4/WebDriver
- Java/Junit 4/WebDriver Backed
- Java/Junit 4/Remote Control
- Java/Junit 3/Remote Control
- Java/TestNG/Remote Control
- Python 2/unittest/WebDriver
Selenium IDE Drawbacks
- Cross-browser testing is not possible
- Data-driven Testing is not supported.
- Not possible to generate reports
- Need to open Browser before opening Selenium IDE.
You can export recorded test cases to above different languages from File – Export Test Case As.
Selenium RC full form is Remote Control, Selenium RC was also known as Selenium 1 before launching Webdriver Selenium Rc used in most of the web application automation. Selenium RC directly not communicate with the browsers, first Selenium RC communicate with Selenium standalone server then it will communicate with different browsers and it will execute selenese commands.
Selenium RC drawbacks
- Selenium RC doesn’t communicate directly with browsers.
- Selenium RC test execution takes more time.
- In order to run Selenium RC first, you need to start Selenium RC server.
Selenium Webdriver also called Selenium 2, which is widely using to automate different web applications. Selenium Webdriver directly communicates with the different browser in order to execute Selenium Webdriver Test scripts. Selenium Webdriver doesn’t require any selenium server.
Selenium Supported drivers
- Mozilla Geckodriver
- Google Chrome Driver
- Opera drivers
- Internet Explorer Driver
- Safari Driver